Henry C. Bohack opened his first grocery store in New York City in 1887 on Fulton Street in Brooklyn. It soon became a chain in the Northeast area of the United States, most in New York State, with its headquarters located in Maspeth Queens. The chain, referred to as Bohack’s, closed its last store in 1977. The chain also operated gas stations. The recession of the 1970s caused the chain to go into bankruptcy.
Henry Bohack died in 1931 and the chain was owned by his wife, 4 nephews and 8 friends who were with him from almost the beginning of the company. In 1965, the “heirs” decided to retire and “Go Public” with the company’s equity. Charles Bluedorn, Gulf & Western’s Chairman (Gulf Oil, Paramount Pictures, etc …) became the majority share holder. Bluedorn’s regime ousted almost everyone who didn’t retire, including all Bohack family members, except Robert Bohack, a nephew of Henry, who ran the Human Resources department.
The Bohack location at 87th St and 2nd Ave was featured in The Odd Couple when Felix went in and did shopping for he and Oscar’s date night with the Pigeon sisters.