Henry C. Bohack, supermarket pioneer

Henry C. Bohack opened his first grocery store in New York City in 1887 on Fulton Street in Brooklyn. It soon became a chain in the Northeast area of the United States, most in New York State,  with its headquarters located in Maspeth Queens. The chain, referred to as Bohack’s, closed its last store in 1977. The chain also operated gas stations. The recession of the 1970s caused the chain to go into bankruptcy. Henry Bohack died in 1931 and the chain was owned by his wife, 4 nephews and 8 friends who were with him from almost the beginning of… Read More

Read more