Augustus C. Ludlow (1 January 1792 – 13 June 1813) was an officer in the United States Navy during the War of 1812. He was born in Newburgh, New York and was appointed midshipman when he was 12. He received a commission to be a lieutenant at age 18.
Ludlow was second in command to Captain James Lawrence on the USS Chesapeake during the ship’s engagement with HMS Shannon on June 1, 1813. It was to Ludlow that Lawrence said “Don’t give up the ship.” Both Ludlow and Lawrence were mortally wounded in that battle, and Ludlow died in Halifax, Nova Scotia on June 13, 1813.
Lieutenant Ludlow was buried together with Captain James Lawrence and Lawrence’s widow, in the graveyard of Trinity Church in Manhattan, New York City. Ludlow Street on the Lower East Side of Manhattan is named for the Ludlow family. The ship USS Ludlow is named for Augustus as is the city of Port Ludlow in the state of Washington.
Harmon Hendricks (1846–1928) was a prominent member of the Sephardic Jewish community in New York and a pioneer in the American copper industry. He served as the president of the Hendricks Brothers copper trading company. He was vice chairman of the board of trustees for the Museum of the American Indian.
Mr. Hendricks and his brother-in-law Simon Isaacs, were the NYC representatives of Paul Revere’s copper and metal company in Boston. Around 1812, Isaac & Hendricks set up their own copper rolling factory in Bellville, NJ, where they supplied copper boilers for a number of ships and for the Savannah, the first steamship ever to cross the Atlantic.
Mr. Hendricks was the owner of what is now known as the oldest standing home in the West Village of Manhattan. Built in 1799, it started as a wood frame house and now has a brick facade and aluminum siding as well as an added dormer.
Thomas Healy owned Healy’s near current Columbus Circle in the early 1900s. Healy’s was one of the busiest clubs in the area with a spacious dining and dance floor. It featured an indoor ice-skating rink and enormous ballroom and more. It was one of New York’s most trendy dining palaces in 1913.
At 1 a.m. on August 13, 1913, the police burst into Healy’s and violently threw out all the patrons. The problem began days earlier when Mayor Gaynor initiated the Cafe Curfew for the wild lobster palaces and nightclubs that he felt were turning Midtown into an all-night party. Establishments holding proper liquor licenses would now have to close at 1 a.m. unless granted an exemption or extended license (often given to hotels). Mr. Healy saw he would lose money by closing an hour earlier so he protested the law and remained open.
Healy filed an injunction against the law and its wording, which could be interpreted as allowing his dining room to remain open, even if the bar was locked. For several days, police entered the restaurant and asked patrons to leave at 1 a.m. On Tuesday, August 12, police barricaded patrons in the restaurant, announcing that none of them could leave until 6 a.m. Healy removed his remaining diners out a back entrance, foiling the police.
The newspaper coverage of the raid on the 13th, which included the roughing up of the NY District Attorney and future governor Charles Whitman, sparked such a large crowd to come to Healy’s the next day and eventually had the Cafe Curfew revoked.
Healy is also known for Pomander Walk, a beautiful enclosed grouping of homes on the Upper West Side entered through an iron gate. He had the homes built while waiting for financing and finalization of plans for a hotel. He also had partial ownership of the famous Stork Club.
William Hooker was a surveyor and engraver. He mapped early 1800s NY. He published maps of New York City in 1824. In 1827 he published the Pocket Plan of 1827, map of Brooklyn. His map was the first to have the AME (African Methodist Episcopal) Church on High Street, established in 1818, the oldest African American church in Brooklyn. His map highlighted points of interest in Brooklyn, including not only the Places of Worship like AME, but libraries, schools, markets, banks, insurance companies, lodges, gardens, and hotels.
Mr. Hooker’s published maps of Manhattan (then just known as New York City) still survive, but the Brooklyn edition is rare. His maps were known for their extreme detail.
You can find the maps digitized at the NY Public Library and at the Brooklyn Historical Society which sometimes has reproductions of the Brooklyn map for sale.